Based in Huddersfield, Yorkshire
September 1, 2011
Press / Business contact:
Duke of York Young Enterprise Centre
Email for number
Games developer/educator who loves building social experiences, bizarre installations and video games.
AlexVsCoding came into existence after a collaborative project fell apart and I decided that I had to find a way to start building games myself. In 2011 I met Alistair Aitcheson at EGX London, who suggested picking up a visual scripting tool called Stencylworks. Whilst I was able to initially “Frankenstein” some games together using chunks of sample code, what catalysed the learning process was teaching 7-17 year olds games development in upstate New York.After that
Five hundred taught students later, I returned home, finished my degree and started working towards getting Narcissus finished. I built an arcade machine for the game and wheeled it to a bunch of festivals and tinkered with a variety of different projects. My faith in long term collaborative projects was rekindled after I spent 4 months over the summer of 2014 working with fine artist Tyler Giordano on CHIGUN. For the last 7 months, with the help from the Duke of York Enterprise Centre and the University of Huddersfield, I’ve been working full time on developing games and teaching part time at the University. I received a Makey Makey for Christmas and in the time since, I’ve built a plethora of contraptions and have recently started running workshops in the software.
Teaching to Learn - Talk at Update YouTube
CHIGUN Launch Trailer Shenanigans YouTube
Deathlection Technical Breakdown YouTube
There are far more images available for AlexVsCoding , but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Official Selection for Leftfield Collection 2014" - Birmingham NEC, 20 March, 2014
- "Johansson has produced a unique, multi-faceted game offering two different but equally appealing experiences well worth your time."
- Beccy Caine, Destructoid
- "Twin wakes wrapping around thick lumps of scenery as a pair of monochrome avatars rush from A to B with precision and perfect timing."
- Harry Slater, Pocketgamer
- "Narcissus designer Alex Johansson stands out on a show floor—not least because he towers over the cosplayers milling around the place in gothic-lolita fashion."
- Shehzaan Abdulla, AUTOMATON
- "Click Here to Play Again! No!"
- Michael Jones, Play Pals
Suggested Reading Material #1: AlexVsCoding
How I Learnt to build my own games through teaching others. gamasutra.com.
Suggested Reading Material #2: Installation Required
Article/Interview with JoonTurbo talking about building arcade machines. gamasutra.com.
Suggested Reading Material #3: Indie Vs Twindie
Why working on a game with another person is awesome. gamasutra.com.
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Artist, Programmer, Designer
Fine Artist, Freelancer
Luke Smith (Afr0turf)